Thursday, January 2, 2014

Homemade Grain (Gluten) Free Pasta




Years ago, a dear friend of mine taught me how to make a simple homemade pasta by using a food processor.  I thought I'd give it a try with my gluten (grain) free and IC diet friendly ingredients.  It worked out fabulously and was so easy!  I think this recipe could be used as the base for gluten (grain) free ravioli or egg rolls.  I'll post when I give those a try!

Homemade Grain (Gluten) Free Pasta

Makes about 2 servings

On a work surface, place a sheet of parchment paper about 15" long, sprayed with olive oil cooking spray.

In the bowl of a food processor, combine

1 egg
Dash of sea salt (about 1/8 of a teaspoon)

Add gradually by pulsing until the dough clings together and is no longer sticky, about

3/4 cup chickpea flour (also called besan, garbanzo bean or lentil flour)

Make sure the dough is worked together evenly before transferring it to the parchment sheet.  I had to scrape the bottom and sides of my processor to get it all together and kneaded it a bit with my hands before I turned it out onto my work surface.

Spray the dough with olive oil cooking spray and form the dough into a ball. Re-spray the dough as often as necessary to keep it from drying out while working with it.  Place the dough in the center of the work surface and flatten it into a very thin rectangle.  Oil the blade of a knife and slice the pasta into the desired length and width.



At this point, the pasta may be air dried or frozen for storage.  

To cook the pasta, place the desired amount into salted, boiling water for a minute or so.  



I used my noodles in some home made chicken noodle soup.  Yum.  The photo shows the pasta served with some home made pork gravy.

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment