Saturday, January 4, 2014

Condiment Challenges and the IC Diet

Ingredient Substitutions for the IC Diet

One of my biggest challenges since being on the IC diet is finding adequate substitutions for certain basic needs, like condiments.  Mayonnaise, ketchup, mustard, salad dressings, etc., all have vinegar in them.  Not only is white vinegar made from grain, any vinegar is a real no-no for folks with inflammatory conditions, especially interstitial cystitis (IC.)

Anything tangy or tart is pretty much off limits on this way of eating.  The reason is that acidic foods set off IC bladder symptoms like crazy.  Some foods are worse than others.  Here is the "official" foods list -- compiled based upon research and patient experience.  I find I do best when I follow this list's suggestions strictly.

However, following this list strictly can lead to what seems like a very boring and bland diet! Thankfully, God has given me creativity in the kitchen.  I've discovered some substitutions and ingredients that work just fine in place of the normal foods that most folks eat.  Many, many times folks want what I'm eating and like what I've prepared better than "normal" food.  I'm hopeful that my recipes and substitutions will open a whole new food world for those with inflammatory conditions, like IC, that have to restrict the acidity in their diet.

The biggest challenge is the inability to use Lemon juice and vinegar. Instead, I use "baby" pear juice, which can be found in the infant foods section of most grocery stores.  Pear juice is already low acid, and the baby form is supposed to be even more so.

With the pear juice, I'm able to create all sorts of salad dressings and homemade mayonnaise.  Check the sidebar for several recipes.



Tomato sauce is another big challenge.  In the past, I've used pumpkin puree instead of tomato sauce in a few recipes.  I've created a new pumpkin ketchup recipe, and I'll be experimenting with other pumpkin-based sauces.



4 comments:

  1. You are most welcome. I hope the recipes and information is helpful :)
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really need a hack for lime juice substitute. I love cilantro Lyme dishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping that you found something. I'm only just now able to reply to your comment. When I'm not flared up, I can tolerate small amounts of citrus. Pear juice is the safest thing.

      Delete