Saturday, January 4, 2014

Creamy Fresh Basil Salad Dressing -- Non-Dairy

The photo is of my IC taco salad 


My sister created the original recipe for my Extreme Lo Carb Cuisine book that was published in 2004 by Adams Media, Inc.  I haven't had any fresh basil leaves for years, then yesterday I got some.  I had to make this dressing!  However, with my IC diet challenges, there were some modifications that needed to be made.  Here's my IC friendly version of her creation.

Creamy Fresh Basil Salad Dressing

Combine in a blender container and blend until combined:

1 egg
1 tablespoon pear juice
6 - 1" fresh basil leaves*
1/4 teaspoon garlic granules
1/8 teaspoon dry mustard
1/8 teaspoon celery seed
1 teaspoon sea salt

Scrape down the sides of the blender.  With the blender running, add, pouring in a small stream through the top:

3/4 cup olive oil*
2 tablespoons water


Serve on fresh salad greens for a real treat!  Omit the water to use as a dip.

Enjoy!

*1-5-14 Note -- this recipe, as is, was a bit strong for me and caused me to have IC symptoms.  I'm going to add an additional 1/2 cup olive oil, and I think it will be fine.  Unfortunately, it is overcast, and I don't want to lose its lovely texture.  Since this dressing is basically a mayonnaise base, I think it would "unbind" due to the weather if I mess with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment