Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Homemade Adobo Seasoning Without Pepper

Adobo Seasoning without pepper is a staple of mine.  It is a Hispanic seasoning used in Mexican and Puerto Rican dishes, plus others.  I'm able to get it pretty easily where I live, but I know that it can be difficult to find elsewhere.  Many of my recipes call for it because it is a delicious all purpose seasoning blend that doesn't have any gluten, and it is IC diet friendly.  Many seasoning blends (seasoning salts), have onion, paprika and black pepper in them.  Those are all either major no-nos or and least items to watch.  I can't tolerate any of them.  Because of those factors, and that normal Adobo seasoning uses regular table salt, I decided it would be good to make my own.  This is what I came up with:

Homemade Adobo Seasoning Without Pepper




This makes about 2 cups of Adobo Seasoning Without Pepper

In a bowl combine:

1 cup sea salt
1/2 cup garlic granules
1/3 cup ground oregano*
1 1/2 tablespoons turmeric

Mix well and store in a tightly covered container.  Use in recipes calling for seasoning salt or Adobo seasoning.

*Note:  I couldn't find any ground oregano in my local store, so I bought whole oregano and ground it myself in my blender.  About 1/2 cup whole oregano ground down to 1/3 cup ground oregano.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Can you use this to make tacos? I think cumin might cause me problems...Instead of the store bought stuff?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm okay with it. Might test it on something small and make a partial batch. Additionally, I've gone to all organic seasonings. Might make a difference for you. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete