Friday, January 3, 2014

Gluten and Grain Free Hamburger Buns

No kidding!  The recipe is simple, and I think these are the best gluten and grain free buns I've had.  Before I went completely grain free, I was using some of the store-bought gluten free buns, but those still fell apart when I ate my sandwich.  I think these are much better.  They aren't the typical "fluffy buns," they are more biscuit like.  I started with the recipe for Gluten and Grain Free Biscuits and just changed it up a bit.




Gluten and Grain Free Hamburger Buns
makes 6

Pre-heat the oven to 400F.
In a mixing bowl combine:
¼ cup potato flour
¾ cup garbanzo bean (chickpea) flour
¾ cup almond flour
½ teaspoon sea salt
1 tablespoon gluten free baking powder (I make my own.  Recipe here)

1 packet Knox gelatin

Work in until the mixture resembles fine crumbs:
2 tablespoons coconut oil

Add and mix until all the dry ingredients are incorporated:
½ cup almond milk (I make my own.  I will post the recipe.)

Form the dough into six equal balls.  Spray a baking sheet with olive oil cooking spray.  Place the dough balls about 2” apart, and press them into flat circles about 1/4" thick -- the size of the burger patties being used.  Spray the tops with olive oil cooking spray, and bake them at 400F for about 8 to 12 minutes.  The tops should be golden brown when they are done.  Use each "biscuit" as one piece of bun, rather than slicing them.  Either that, or make the buns thicker, so they can be sliced.


These make great sandwich buns and are portable.  They taste best when warm.

Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment