Sunday, January 5, 2014

About Gluten Free Diets

I published this article on my other blog "JAMSGems4U" on Septmeber 17, 2013.  It shares why I made the transition to being completely grain free, not just "gluten free" according to the standard definition.


About "Gluten Free" Diets

Hi there,

I've been "gluten free," or so I thought, for about a year now, plus the time when I was off of nearly everything for a year and a half before that!  I thought I would see a lot of improvement, but I really haven't.  My joints still hurt, and, in fact, have gotten worse.  I need knee replacements now.  I'm still tired most of the time, and don't sleep well at night because of interstitial cystitis (IC).  I have other symptoms, too.  I've known there was "something" that was my root problem.  I thought maybe it was the IC, but it doesn't explain cataracts and some of my other issues, like the advanced arthritis -- I've had that since I was in my 20s.

Then, a couple of days ago, a dear friend of mine who has been "gluten free" for about as long as I have, with basically the same results, showed me a website that I'd not seen before:  Gluten Free Society.  On that site, the doctor, Dr. Osborne, contends that every grain has glutinous proteins in them.  He says that if a person is gluten sensitive, it's not just wheat, rye and barley that are the problems, but all grains!

To be honest, that rocked my world.  I've used corn extensively since my allergy testing three years ago, plus other grains like sorghum and recently, rice.  I had just purchased quite a lot of "gluten free" breads, bagels, tortillas, etc.  I decided to "test out" his theory.  I had a couple of pieces of my "gluten free" bread before I went to bed.  I had a horrible night!  That was enough for me.  I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired!!

I am redefining my definition of "gluten free" to being "grain free" from here on.  ...  I guess one could say that I'm going paleo because I will, also, be dairy free.  I discovered months ago that I don't do well with any dairy -- not even the dairy substitutes.  ...

I hope my discoveries will help someone else...

Blessings,
Sharron


More thoughts on this topic




My gluten (grain) free bun recipe


No comments:

Post a Comment