Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Almond Cheese -- Dairy and soy free semi-soft cheese


Almond Cheese -- Dairy and soy free semi-soft cheese


For some time now, I've thought that there must be a way to make a non-dairy cheese that I could use.  All of the pre-made ones I've seen at the store have things in them to which I am sensitive.  After doing some research online, I came across a couple of recipes that I thought I could modify.  The following is the result.  I hope it helps someone!


Almond Cheese -- Dairy and soy free semi-soft cheese
Makes about 1 1/2 cups cheese

In a blender container combine 2 cups blanched almonds, (I cheat and purchase mine already blanched), and about 3 cups filtered water.  Blend them until the almonds are smooth, as shown above, adding more water if necessary to keep the blender going.  Just at the end, add the powder from 2 caps of probiotics capsules.

Line a colander with a cheesecloth, or, if you are like me and don't have any, a good, clean paper towel will work.  Place the lined colander over a bowl that is large enough to hold it, so the whey can drain from the cheese.  Pour the pureed almonds into the lined colander and cover it so nothing will fall into it.  I used a plate.

Allow the whey to drain over night, up to a couple of days, depending on the consistency of the cheese that is desired.  

I had to add some weight to get it to strain -- I placed a mug on top and then I put it into another clean cloth towel and squeezed as much of the whey out as I could.  The whey can be saved to use in another project like this gluten and dairy free pizza crust.

This is the cheese in its "final" state after draining.  At this point, it could be used for many different things.  It is much like cream cheese or a semi-soft cheese.  It is great in this Almond Cheesecake with Blackberry Topping!  Enjoy!







No comments:

Post a Comment