Friday, February 14, 2014

Gluten and Grain Free Chimichangas? Yes!!



Gluten free chimichanga

I've been playing around with this besan (chickpea, garbanzo, gram) flour that I got at the Indian Asian Market.  I'm really quite impressed with its versatility!  I've made quite a few things with it that I'll be posting as I'm able.

I made chimichangas for my family the other night, and, of course, I wanted one.  I made a "tortilla" from the besan flour.  I discovered during the process that the tortilla didn't cook well on my tortilla griddle (comal), but I was able to cook the chimichanga while the tortilla was still raw.  

Gluten and Grain Free Chimichangas

Makes one large Chimichanga (or two small ones, if the dough is divided in half)

Place the ingredients into a mixing bowl and combine thoroughly:

3/4 cup besan flour (chickpea, garbanzo, gram)
1/4 cup warm water
1/16 teaspoon (a pinch) of salt
1 teaspoon coconut oil

Place a sheet of parchment paper about 10"x12" onto a work surface.  Spray it with olive oil cooking spray.  Form the dough into a ball and spray it with the cooking oil spray.  Shape the dough by hand into a flat circle about 4" across, then place it onto the parchment paper.  Spray another sheet of parchment paper about 10"x12" and place it over the top of the dough circle.  Flatten the dough between the parchment sheets with your hands or a rolling pin into about a 10" circle.  Remove the top parchment sheet and set it aside.




(If making two small chimichangas, form the dough into two separate 6" circles and proceed as directed.)

Put the desired filling into the center of the tortilla that is still on the bottom parchment sheet.  I had some leftover pork roast, so that is what I used.  Chimichangas can be filled with a variety of meats and beans.  Just be sure the filling tastes good on its own before it is put into the tortilla.




Roll the chiminanga by lifting the parchment paper up and over the filling, first the ends then the sides.




Put about 1/2" of cooking oil, (peanut or coconut oil are what I use), into a frying pan and warm over medium high heat.  Carefully place the chimichanga into the warmed oil, and cook it until it is golden brown, and the filling is heated through.




When the chimichanga is done, transfer it to a plate and enjoy!



If there happens to be excess dough, it can be shaped into chips and fried until crisp.  Yummy!



No comments:

Post a Comment