Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Apple Salad -- IC friendly fruit salad


Buy Amazon.com gift cards



Apple Salad

This is a favorite at our house.  My mom made a version of this that she called Waldorf Salad, after the Waldorf Astoria Hotel's famous salad.  I've changed it so much, though, I don't feel right calling it a Waldorf salad.  I've done it with pears, grapes, blueberries and added chicken to make it a main dish.  Grapes aren't IC friendly, at least for me, but everything else is!







Apple Salad
Makes about 6 servings

Combine in a salad bowl:

4 cups chopped apple (be sure and use a low acid one like gala or ambrosia)
2 cups chopped celery
1/2 cup pomegranate seeds (optional -- they are not listed on the IC diet foodslist)
1/4 cup nuts (optional -- I used walnuts, but slivered almonds would be just fine, too, if walnuts are a sensitivity)
1/2 teaspoon Adobo seasoning
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
2 tablespoons pear juice (found in the baby food aisle)
3 tablespoons olive oil
(2 cups cooked, diced chicken)

Mix all of the ingredients together and enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment