Thursday, June 15, 2017

Candida! Do you or a loved one experience these symptoms?

Candida!

To some, this word has no meaning.  To others it's just another "disease."  I first heard about candida just after graduating from college.  I had all of the symptoms they listed at that time.  There are other symptoms, (most of which are themselves considered "diseases"), but the most common are:

  • Chronic fatigue
  • Brain fog
  • Digestive issues
  • Recurring yeast infections
  • Oral thrush
  • Sinus infections
  • Food allergies/intolerances
  • Fungal infections on the skin and nails
  • A weak immune system
  • Joint pain
  • Low mood*
This is another list:
I really didn't know what to do about the condition, and a friend of mine was seeing a doctor who attempted to treat her condition.  She ended up being paralyzed from the treatments!!  She still is wheel chair bound some 30 years later.

Initially, I didn't do anything about the condition.  Later, when reading Dr. Atkin's New Diet Revolution, I learned more.  I felt it could be controlled with diet.  I also started self-treating with oil of oregano, as  he described in the book, and probably did that for 3-4 years around 2001.  Half a dozen years ago, I had some allergy testing and stool samples taken.  At that time, they found severe staph and strep infections.  There was also a candida infection.  I spent a year on specialized antibiotics attempting to clear these out.

In hind sight, probably all these things just made the candida organisms stronger!  I've recently begun taking a different type of probiotic -- one that actually has the enzymes to be able to break apart the tough outer shell of the candida organism.  I have heard it is like the shell of a cockroach.  No wonder I wasn't successful at just dealing with it by diet and essential oils!  Any idea how difficult it is to kill and get rid of cockroaches??  I located this description of chitinase -- the shell of the candida organism, on Wikipedia.  Basically it describes it as a pathogenic substance.  This was what I felt most significant, "Like cellulose, chitin is an abundant biopolymer that is relatively resistant to degradation." It can't be broken down easily -- meaning diet alone won't work!


Since I published my most recent article, I've had a few folks tell me that they are controlling their candida with diet.  I have not found this to be entirely successful.  This is now my 3rd candida treatment.  (I had one before the special antibiotic.)  I've never previously been rid of the condition based on the fact that my food and chemical sensitivities continued to worsen.  If the candida was "under control" my allergies would be getting better.  They have only worsened until just recently. (See previous article.)

I would caution anyone against self-treatment as I have done it. I am currently being guided by others with experience.  

Please, if you feel that you might have a candida-related condition, contact me.  


 (I am not  recommending these sites for anything but information.)
*Reference:  https://www.thecandidadiet.com/candida-symptoms/ 
**Reference:  https://www.candidasupport.org/resources/candida-related-diseases/

No comments:

Post a Comment