Thursday, November 20, 2014

Low Carb Flax and Coconut Personal Pancake


Low Carb Flax and Coconut Personal Pancake



So I was wanting something both high fiber and high protein for breakfast.  I pulled the ingredients out that I was interested in using and mixed them together.  My daughter walked in while it was cooking and asked, "What's that?"  To which I replied, "I don't know!"  Well, once it was done and I tasted it, I decided it was definitely a pancake.  I spread some all-fruit spread on it and enjoyed it as such.  I hope this helps someone else along their way :)

Low Carb Flax and Coconut Personal Pancake
Serves 1

In a bowl mix well:

2 eggs
1/8 teaspoon sea salt

Add and mix well:

1/4 cup ground flax seed meal (use almond flour for SCD)
2 tablespoons shredded coconut -- mine was pretty finely shredded, not the big chunks that are called shredded, but neither was it finely ground.  I'd say, "medium grind."
2 packets Stevia based sweetener* (or 1 tablespoon honey for SCD)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Pre-heat a small frying pan with 1 tablespoon coconut oil.  Pour the batter into the pan as soon as the oil melts.  Cover it and cook it over medium low heat for about 3 minutes or until the top of the pancake can be touched and it's no longer sticky.  It can be flipped if a browned appearance on both sides is desired.

Place the pancake onto a plate and top as desired:  Sugar free syrup, peanut butter and jam, jelly, etc.  (Not for SCD -- for SCD, peanut butter and honey would be great!)

*Note:  This would be good without toppings, too.  Use an additional 2 packets stevia sweetener, (or another tablespoon of honey for SCD), and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon in the batter. 

As I said, I put all-fruit spread on mine.  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment